On April 22, 2013, more than one billion people around the world will take part in the 43rd anniversary of Earth Day. From Beijing to Cairo, Melbourne to London, Rio to Johannesburg, New Delhi to New York, communities everywhere will voice their concerns for the planet, and take action to protect it.
Here are ten things that you can do to help celebrate Earth Day this year:
- Educate yourself about environmental issues by signing up for a study module.
- Calculate your carbon footprint and make a pledge to reduce your impact.
- Join a conservation action network and encourage your friends to do the same.
- Protect an acre of forest.
- Recycle your electronic waste by bringing old equipment to Best Buy or find a recycler near you.
- Visit Earth Day Network’s website and learn more about the global theme for Earth Day 2013: “The Face of Climate Change.”
- Keep abreast of environmental news by subscribing to Mother Nature Network or TreeHugger.
- Attend an Earth Day event; like these in Atlanta.
- Improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Take your kids for a walk in nature. Our favorite place is Serenbe.