Prioritizing thriving has become a personal, organizational, and societal challenge. We see it as one of the biggest opportunities for reimagining leadership and work today.
The global pandemic, supply chain problems, and other major problems have driven organizational and human costs of too much stress. As a result, in today’s war for talent, wellbeing is a key differentiator. Many leaders are resetting their organizations with the principles of wholeness, connectedness, adaptability, and resilience. These leaders know: A thriving company requires thriving people.
When the Be Well Lead Well Pulse® assessment is used to measure how well leaders and teams are THRIVING, they are invited to examine how internally well-resourced they are to meet their demands and evolve with a sense of mastery, high quality of life, and growth.
The THRIVING dimension of Be Well Lead Well Pulse® measures three of 19 vital psychometrics of holistic wellbeing and stress resilience:
- Today & Tomorrow: the extent to which you perceive yourself as thriving today, as well as your optimism about thriving in the next five years.
- Flourishing: the extent to which you perceive meaning and purpose in your life, as well as your interest, engagement, and competence in your daily activities. It also addresses the extent to which you perceive that your social relationships are supportive and rewarding, you are respected by others, and you contribute to others’ happiness.
- Resilience: assesses your ability to bounce back or recover from the daily stresses and difficulties which are an inherent part of life and work.
Tap Into Your Stories of Thriving
Thriving is a dynamic and renewable capacity which exists within every human being—plus, it’s a pragmatic skill you and your team can develop to elevate effectiveness. Start by experimenting with this practice.
Write down three stories of high thriving from your past. For instance, draw a story in your childhood, early adulthood, and a recent time. Include as much detail as you can—make note of the sights, sounds, smells, sensations, and any other aspects that bring these stories to life. Then, answer these questions:
- Why was this a time of thriving for me?
- What qualities or patterns do I notice across these three stories?
- What effect did tapping into these stories have on my body, mind, and emotions?
We each have a place of thriving inside us, yet we often deviate from it. The simple act of recalling your stories of thriving can have beneficial effects on your physiological and psychological wellbeing—plus, it helps you tap into a wellspring of vitality that exists within you.
Take this practice up a notch by inviting team members at your next work meeting to share their stories of thriving, too. This can be a positive force for building healthy, productive, and supportive relationships.
The Be Well Lead Well Pulse® assessment system includes a collection of close to 100 macro- and micro-practices for enriching your capacity to thrive and amplifying thriving for others. Contact us to work with a Be Well Lead Well Pulse® Certified practitioner in your world region, and learn more about our programs for getting certified to use Be Well Lead Well Pulse® wherever you lead.