In this 4-part Be Well Lead Well® Connect audio series, you’ll learn four principles of the autonomic nervous system and why they matter when you want to cultivate environments where your people and teams thrive.
In this third audio, we focus on self-regulation, the ability to understand and shift your own responses in ways that help you live and lead well. Self-regulation enables you to lead from a state of wellbeing where you can more easily adopt attitudes and actions that support your capacity to thrive, as well as those you lead.
The principle of self-regulation is part of adapting and thriving in the middle of ever-changing circumstances, and it is at the heart of what it means to lead effectively. Click the play button below to learn more.
Explore these excellent resources to deepen your learning.
Articles & Books
- Autonomic Dysfunction Syndromes after Acute Brain Injury, Handbook of Clinical Neurology, 2021
- Autonomic Dysfunction, Diabetes, and Metabolic Syndrome, Journal of Diabetes investigation, 2021
- Clinical Profile Associated with Adverse Childhood Experiences: The Advent of Nervous System Dysregulation, Children, 2017
- Trauma and Autonomic Dysregulation: Episodic—Versus Systemic—Negative Affect Underlying Cardiovascular Risk in Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, Psychosomatic Medicine, 2017
- Autonomic Dysregulation and the Window of Tolerance Model of the Effects of Complex Emotional Trauma, Journal of Psychopharmacology, 2011
- Role of Environmental Toxicants on Neurodegenerative Disorders, Frontiers in Toxicology, 2022
- Effectively Leading Through Paradox: A Pivotal Role for Wellbeing, Wisdom Works Group, 2021
Podcasts & Videos
- How Panoramic Vision Can Reduce Stress and Anxiety, interview with Dr. Andrew Huberman on The Tim Ferriss Show
- Think Fact, Talk Smart. Mindset Matters: How to Embrace the Benefits of Stress by Matt Abrahams with Stanford psychologist Dr. Alia Crum
- Rugged Flexibility & the Neuroscience of Expectations with Master of Change, Brad Stulberg on the Rich Roll Podcast
- Become an Active Operator of Your Nervous System with clinician Deb Dana on Ten Percent Happier by Dan Harris
- Self-Regulation by Empowered to Connect
- My Stroke of Insight, a TedTalk by Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor
- Employee Burnout: The Causes and Cures, by Gallup
Be Well Lead Well® Resources
- Be Well Lead Well Pulse®, a groundbreaking assessment that connects leaders and groups to 19 pathways for their increasing thriving, resilience, and wellbeing leadership
- Be Well Lead Well Pulse® Certification Program, a whole-person approach to leadership
- Be Well Lead Well® Newletter, unpacking science, practices, and case studies to help today’s leaders transform teams and organizations by making thriving a new standard of success